Tuesday, February 2, 2010

My First Cake


My first cake was a cake I made for a baby shower. The theme was farm animals, so I decided to make a barnyard cake. I looked all over the Internet at pictures of farm animal cakes and found a few that inspired me. I was apprehensive about covering a cake in fondant, so I decided to frost it and use my fondant to make the decorations. The most time consuming part of the whole thing was coloring the fondant, which my husband was kind enough to help me with. (He's a keeper!). After I had all my colors, I started to make my animals and barn. I made a cow, a pig, a duck and a chicken. The barn was made from a cake I baked in a bread pan and then shaped to look like a barn. After I was happy with my work, I let my animals dry overnight and assembled the cake the day before the shower.

It was definitely a learning experience. I learned to never use a boxed cake mix to make a cake that will have fondant pieces on top of it or things will sink! I also learned that if I'm not covering the entire cake with fondant, I need to make sure my frosting is stiff enough to stay on the cake and not slide down. However, despite the many faults that I saw in my cake, the mommy-to-be loved it and that was all that mattered.

No comments:

Post a Comment