Sunday, August 22, 2010

Happy Fourth!


I had some free time around Independence Day and I wanted to make a fun cake for a party that my husband, Andy, and I were going to. I browsed the internet for ideas and eventually decided to make an Uncle Sam hat cake. To start out I made my stars out of gum paste and let them dry a week ahead of time. Then the day before, I baked three eight inch round cakes. I cut one it half and used it as the base or brim of the hat. Then I piled the rest on top of one another with chocolate ganache filling inbetween. Once the cake was filled and stacked, I let it sit in the fridge and set. After a few hours in the fridge, I shaped the hat part. It was something I did freehand so it wasn't perfect but I thought it turned out pretty well. The rest of decorating was easy, I just iced it, covered with fondant and decorated as you can see. I got the wire pieces that I put the stars on from Michaels. They're in the new "Ace of Cakes" section of the baking items. In the end the cake turned out well and everyone liked it.

No comments:

Post a Comment